The leaves are falling. Your staff is thinking about holiday shopping and planning their holiday vacation schedules. And, as we all know, none of this does much for productivity around the office. So, how do you counter the effects of the holidays and keep your employees motivated? In today’s guest post, WASP Barcode Technologies offers 5 tips on how to keep your employees on track (and on task) during the holidays.
- Celebrate Success – This can be as simple as using positive reinforcement, such as thank-you cards, phone calls or a congratulatory email when you see an employee performing well. If the accomplishment is much larger, you can treat the individual or entire team to an impromptu get-together. This could include lunch, pizza or drinks at a local pub. You can also celebrate the holidays by taking the team to a seasonal, festive movie.
- Set Challenging Goals – Goals are a great way to keep your employees and team members on track. By setting the bar high but still within reach, everyone will be striving to achieve his or her set goals. Make sure goals are clearly communicated and in writing, so employees can refer back to the list as necessary.
- Keep Them in the Loop – When employees feel that they are playing an active role in the development and progress of their company, they are less likely to resist authority. Plus, you never know what insightful information they may have to offer that could make a significant impact to your small business. Schedule a short-but-sweet weekly or monthly company-wide meeting to keep everyone on the same page.
- Create an Enjoyable Atmosphere – You’d be surprised at how hardworking one can be when they walk into an office everyday and feel welcome. By creating a working atmosphere full of acceptance, camaraderie and unity, your employees will feel more motivated to get work completed. Positivity is key – remember, your staff takes cues from you, so be sure the right attitude starts at the top.
- Give Them the Tools for Success – If your employees are lacking sufficient tools required to complete their jobs, chances are they’ll become frustrated and productivity will drop. Let’s face it – no one likes a printer that jams frequently, or a computer that shuts down on a whim.
Before cabin fever spreads through your entire department, be sure to take the time and implement a few of our suggestions. Who knows, you may just receive the coveted World’s #1 Boss coffee mug.
Wasp Barcode Technologies is a leader in small business productivity solutions but also pride themselves on sharing tips to help SMBs be successful.