Sponsored by Staples
By Rieva Lesonsky
Spring is here, and with it a sense of new beginnings. For small business owners, it’s time to emerge from the doldrums of winter and get re-energized for the rest of the year. Of course, re-energizing yourself and your business starts with getting organized.
And that’s a lot easier to do if you hit up your nearest Staples store (or go to Staples.com) and take a look at some of their Staples Brand Products. One of the great things about buying Staples Brand Products to help you get organized is all the money you’ll save when you stock up. These high-quality products will exceed your expectations and not tax your budget.
Today’s small business owners work in a variety of different office spaces. Some of us work in traditional offices, others are in co-working spaces, while still other business owners work out of their homes. Wherever you work, Staples offers Brand Products that will fit—and help you organize—every type of workspace.
Here are 6 steps to making spring organization happen at your small business.
- Clean it up. Whether your workplace is a commercial office, a retail location or a room in your home, give it a thorough spring cleaning. Move fixtures and furnishings around to vacuum and dust; wipe down all surfaces, including computers, keyboards and digital devices, for a fresh start for the season. Discard anything that’s worn-out or broken and make a list of what you need to replace. Give your computer a good going-over by running a cleanup program suited to your operating system and making sure your antivirus software is up to date.
- Purge your files. For most of us, the paperless office isn’t quite a reality. Take some time to go through your files, folders and drawers. Purge and shred unnecessary documents, and reorganize what remains. (I love using colored hanging files and file folders to keep things straight.) Digitize important documents by scanning them, organizing them and storing them in the cloud so you can access them anywhere. Don’t forget to review and purge your digital documents, too.
- Corral the small stuff. Whether or not you believe a cluttered desktop indicates a cluttered mind, it sure makes it harder to find what you need. Get organized and give yourself some space by gathering all the miscellaneous office supplies crowding your desk and storing them close at hand in the four-drawer Staples Medium Plastic Storage Drawer Cart. The different-sized drawers mean there’s a place for everything from paperclips to paper reams. Rolling wheels make the cart easy to move out of the way, which is a plus for small or home offices, and the clear drawers let you see everything at a glance and quickly grab what you need.
- Stock up. Ever had a project grind to a halt because you ran out of printer ink? Be prepared to handle whatever comes your way by stocking up on essential office supplies. Personally, I can never have too many pens, and having extra Staples Optiflow Rollerball Pens in packs of a dozen on hand ensures I’m always ready when inspiration strikes. (Choose the Auto Restock feature for this and other purchases, and you’ll never have to worry about running out of vital office supplies again.)
- Get comfortable. Are you still making do with hand-me-down or barebones office furnishings from when you first started your business? You’ll be more energized, productive and effective in a workspace that’s comfortable and inviting — and it doesn’t have to cost a fortune, either. For instance, why not upgrade your old office chair to a cushy model like the Staples Sonada Bonded Leather Managers Chair? Lean back, relax and come up with your next great business idea.
- Make your workspace your happy place. You spend most of your waking hours at your business, so make it a place you enjoy. Surround yourself with the things that inspire you, such as beautiful images, treasured mementoes and your favorite colors. Even your office supplies can be fun when you choose colorful products like these Staples Hype! Pen-Style Highlighters. At Staples’ affordable prices, it’s easy to indulge in a few spirit-boosters like these and still stay within your budget.
Photos courtesy: Staples