There are an estimated 8.6 million women-owned businesses that contribute $1.3 trillion to our national economy and employ 7.7 million Americans.
Women Presidents’ Organization (WPO) and American Express OPEN just honored the 50 Fastest-Growing Women-Owned/Led companies in North America. Last year, the Top 50 generated a combined $3.2 billion in 2012 revenues and collectively employed 24,000 people.
All eligible companies were ranked according to a sales growth formula that combines percentage and absolute growth. From this list, the 50 Fastest were selected. To be qualified for the ranking, businesses are required to be privately held, woman-owned/led companies in the U.S. or Canada and have reached revenue of at least $500,000 by the first week of 2008 and $2 million in 2012.
The Top 5 are:
- Shazi Visram – Happy Family (NY) – Organic Meals Producer
- Kathy Mills – Strategic Communications (KY) – Communications Solutions
- Shelly Sun – BrightStar Care (IL) – Staffing Services
- Tiffany Crenshaw – Intellect Resources (NC) – Healthcare IT Consulting
- June Ressler – Cenergy International Services, LLC (TX) – Energy Personnel Solutions
Read the full list here. Wondering what the 2013 WPO Top 50 are like?
- The average revenue grew from $24.9 million in 2008 to $64.5 million in 2012
- Founded the business: 90%
- Average age: 47
- Average number of projected 2013 employees: 641
All 50 companies will be honored at a special event hosted by American Express OPEN at the 2013 WPO Annual Conference in Dallas, TX on May 2, 2013.