By Rieva Lesonsky
In his State of the Union address Wednesday night, President Obama made lots of proposals to help small business. These included:
- Using $30 billion of the money the big banks have repaid and using it to help community banks give small businesses the credit they need.
- A tax credit for small businesses that hire new workers or raise wages.
- Eliminating capital gains taxes on small-business investment.
- Providing a tax incentive to businesses that invest in new plants and equipment.
- A National Export Initiative to help small businesses increase exports.
Will all these proposals come to pass? I don’t know, but for my take on what small-business owners can do—now—to get their businesses moving with or without government assistance, read my AllBusiness.com column.
For a real-life example of businesses that aren’t waiting for government assistance, but are finding opportunity in the downturn, read my AllBusiness.com Franchise Blog.